Sheffield General Cemetery used to be a pretty grim place where none but the brave would enter. Through the work of volunteers over the last thirty years the Cemetery has become a wonderful park that the Victorians planned but never saw. They planted a vast range of interesting trees which are now mature and attract an abundance of wildlife. The General Cemetery is a richly historic site with very impressive buildings and monuments. The Victorians certainly knew how to put on a good show. There is even an Egyptian Gate that Cleopatra might have approved of. “Sheffielders” are very lucky to have this asset so close to busy streets and the city centre. However we could not operate as an organisation without the many volunteers working at all levels of the Trust.
- Landscape volunteer
- Litter pickers
- Event Volunteers
- Burial Researchers
- Building Maintenance Team
- History and Publications
- Social Media and Marketing
- History Tour Guide
- Administration support
Current Opportunties – August 2023
We have the following roles available as of 25th August 2023.
- Press Liaison volunteer
- Events volunteers
- History Tour Guides
- Children’s event volunteers.
Click here to learn more about these roles.
Becoming a volunteer is both good for the Sheffield General Cemetery and yourself. Did you know that:
- Volunteering can help improve your wellbeing as well as feeling more connected to your local community.
- Volunteering can help make you feel less isolated as you get to know more people.
- Volunteering helps you learn new skills as well as use existing skills.
- Volunteering can have a positive impact on your confidence as well adding details onto your CV
How to apply to become a volunteer?
If you wish to find out more about volunteering with Sheffield General Cemetery, please contact [email protected]
If you wish to apply for a volunteering opportunity please complete our application form
Volunteers are an important and valued part of Sheffield General Cemetery Trust. Our Volunteer Policy states “SGCT recognises that volunteering is a partnership between the organisation and the volunteer based on trust, both meeting the needs of the organisation and the individual.”
You can expect the following from the Sheffield General Cemetery Trust.
- Make you feel welcome, give an induction to how the organisation works and your role in it and to provide any training if needed.
- Provide regular opportunity to feedback, so that you can tell us if you are happy with how your tasks are organised and get feedback from us.
- Respect your skills, dignity and individual wishes and to do our best to meet them. You will have equality of opportunity.
- We will apply our Problem-Solving Procedure to address any issues that may occur
- You will be reimbursed with reasonable out-of-pocket expenses incurred through volunteering.
- Consult with you and keep you informed of possible changes.
- You will be covered by Sheffield General Cemetery Trust Insurance.
- Provide a safe and healthy space to volunteer.
Sheffield General Cemetery Trust expect from volunteers.
- volunteer reliably to the best of their ability
- follow instructions
- treat others with respect and dignity
- seek support and clarification when needed
- keep up to date with what is happening at the Cemetery
- give as much warning as possible whenever they cannot volunteer when expected.
- follow Sheffield General Cemetery Trust’s guidance and procedures, including Health and Safety, Safeguarding, Equal Opportunities and Confidentiality and take personal responsibility for their own health, safety and wellbeing.
- uphold the reputation of the Trust and not disclose confidential information regarding the business, operation, volunteers, customers, stakeholders or suppliers.