When the Cemetery opened in 1836, the main approach to the Cemetery was from the Manchester Turnpike Road (now Ecclesall Road) along Cemetery Avenue, which was flanked by a low wall either side and lined with lime trees. The two obelisks that stood at the junction of the roads were removed in 1926. The approach was an integral part of the plan for the Cemetery.
The Gatehouse was not just the entrance to the Cemetery but provided two dwellings for Cemetery employees. By the 1990s, the building had substantially deteriorated, and had even lost its roof. A Heritage Lottery bid by the Friends of the General Cemetery with support from Sheffield City Council enabled the rebuilding and restoration of the Gatehouse. This work was completed in 2004. It has provided the Friends, now Sheffield General Cemetery Trust, with offices on one side and a source of income from the rental accommodation on the other.
Sexton’s Lodge Holiday Cottage
The Gatehouse is available to rent as a comfortable base for your stay in Sheffield. The accommodation has been furnished with original pieces, lighting and antiques from 19th century. It is within a short distance of the city centre, close to Ecclesall Road with a good choice of restaurants and bars and within 5 minutes walk of Sharrow Vale with its range of quirky independent shops, cafes, restaurants and pubs.