Volunteering at the Cemetery
We could not operate as an organisation without the many volunteers working at all levels of the Trust. Our volunteers look after the Grade II* listed Cemetery park, help visitors with their family history research, lead many of our free events and contribute in the running of the organisation as members of the management group and as trustees.
There are two supervised landscape sessions each week where volunteers keep the Cemetery park clean and tidy by litter picking and carrying out maintenance and enhancements – all to ensure the Cemetery is a safe and enjoyable place for all to visit. We are grateful to have Sheffield Conservation Volunteers working with us each month in continuing the upkeep of the park. These sessions are a great way to get or stay fit, gain experience through working in a unique heritage and wildlife site and make new contacts in a friendly and supportive environment.
We are looking for volunteers to fill the following roles –
Trustees and Management Group
- We are always looking for people to join the Trust on the Management Group or as a Trustee – please contact us for more information. As the Trust is now running a venue from a recently restored Grade II* listed chapel, we are looking for people with event management and marketing experience to help make the venue as profitable and as popular as possible so the Trust can ensure its sustainability for the future.
Landscape and Burial Research
- Friday Gardening Group – 1 to 3pm – Join us for a couple of hours each Friday afternoon for light gardening work in the Cemetery gardens – no previous experience necessary! If you’re interested then contact Sally Puddifoot, our Landscape Conservation Supervisor. (25/4/2018)
- IT Maintenance and Development – we’re looking for someone with a track record in IT who is experienced with networking systems on a small scale, and is able to use managed router technology as a means of securing a network. The role requires a good experience of the Windows 10 operating systems, as well as using NAS technology for the Trust’s file systems (currently Open Media Vault). We have several computers and printers that require maintenance. May suit someone who is aiming to work in the IT industry and would benefit from gaining experience with a small setup. Expect to help for no more than a couple of hours a week. (25/4/2018)
- Membership – we require help in managing our membership system, so that we can keep a track of membership details, payments and renewals as well as adding new members. Experience with Microsoft Access essential. The membership ties in with the Trust’s quarterly newsletter distribution. Ideal for someone with admin experience and who likes to be organised. Expect to help for no more than a couple of hours a week. (25/4/2018)
- Website – this website requires help with maintenance, updating of pages, plugin management and the incorporation of new pages and features as and when needed by the Trust. Ideally we’re looking for someone who is fluent in using WordPress technology and FTP. The work can be carried out from home, or from the Gatehouse office. Expect to help for no more than an hour or two a week. (25/4/2018)
You can find the above roles in greater detail at Volunteer Action Sheffield.
We cover reasonable travel expenses and provide light refreshments to keep you going! If you wish to have a chat with us about the roles or any aspect of the work we carry out then please do contact us.